OUR TRAINING COURSES
INTRODUCTION TO GEMOLOGY
This training course is open to anyone interested in learning about gemmology.
- Knowing the chemical composition of the main gems, their classification and the concept of gem family
- Learning the terms and vocabulary (European Decree, CIBJO)
- Introduction to traditional gemmological analysis techniques
- Using the polariscope, refractometer, spectroscope and UVs
- Refreshing one’s knowledge with a complete overview of the world of geology and its latest developments: new treatments, new technologies, new issues, market developments, etc.
- Gem classification and the concept of family
- Study of the main artificial products
- Study of main natural stone inclusions
- Morphological study of minerals and use of polariscope
- Study of refraction and the refractometer
- Observation of gems and hard stones
- Concepts of light, colour, absorption and use of the Chelsea filter
TEACHING METHODS AND RESOURCES
Courses and hands-on work: using traditional gemmological equipment (binocular, refractometer, etc.), observing numerous samples owned by the LFG.
- Introduction to gemmology
- Using the magnifying glass and observing inclusions
Introduction to the main gem families, physical and chemical properties.
Optical properties of gems, pleochroism and observation of light. Use of polariscope.
- Concept of crystallography, refractometer
- Principle and use
- Identifications of common gems
- Gemstone syntheses and imitations
- Principle, technique and identification of the main imitations and syntheses of common gems.
Families of complementary gems, techniques for full identification and diagnosis of gems.
Introduction to diamond and pearls.
Information and Registration
Sophie Pereira De Sousa : firstname.lastname@example.org – 01 40 26 98 00