INTRODUCTION TO GEMMOLOGY
The training is open to anyone wishing to acquire knowledge in gemmology.
To study common gems, their classification and the notion of mineral species and varieties, with an introduction to the identification tools of practical gemmology.
- To learn the chemical properties of common gems, their classification and the notion of families
- To understand terms and vocabulary (European regulations, CIBJO)
- To learn standard gemmological testing techniques
- To learn how to use the polariscope, the refractometer, the spectroscope and UV light
- To further one’s knowledge through a comprehensive overview of the world of gemmology and its latest developments: new treatments, new technologies, new issues, market trends…
- Gems classification and notion of families
- Study of common synthetic materials
- Study of common inclusions in natural gems
- Morphological analysis of minerals and the use of the polariscope
- Study of refraction and the use of the refractometer
- Gemstones and ornamental stones observation
- Light, colour, absorption and the use of the Chelsea filter
TEACHING METHOD AND RESOURCES
Classes and workshops: use of standard gemmological equipment (binoculars microscope, refractometer …), observation of a large number of samples from the French Gemmological laboratory (LFG) collection.
- Introduction to gemmology,
- Use of the loupe and observation of inclusions
- Introduction to gems main families, physical and chemical properties
- Gems optical properties, pleochroism and observation of light. Use of the polariscope
- Understanding of crystallography
- The refractometer: explanation and utilisation
- Common gemstones identification
- Imitations and synthetic materials.
- Common imitations and synthetic gem materials: definition, techniques and identification
- Additional gems families
- Testing techniques to accurately test and identify gem materials
- Introduction to diamonds and pearls.
Laboratoire Français de Gemmologie – 30, rue de la Victoire 75009 Paris
Inquiries and subscription
Maéva Peltier : email@example.com – 01 40 26 98 00