Gemmologist – Professional Qualification
The Gemmologist carries out technical and scientific assessments of gems in order to determine their genuineness and value. She/he selects gems, advises professionals in their choices and guides them in technical and aesthetic terms.
She/he keeps abreast of changes in regulations and works in close collaboration with other professions in the jewellery sector such as traders, laboratories, jewellers, goldsmiths, diamantaires and auctioneers to whom she/he brings her/his expertise. She/he is a key player in the sector whose skills are decisive for the analysis of gems and the detection of treatments.
Anyone wishing to specialise in gemstone assessment.
To be able to characterise the gems used in jewellery and to use gemmological instruments. To understand the criteria for valuing gems and implement monitoring and control actions.
- The scientific credibility and renown of the Laboratoire Français de Gemmologie, LFG (French Gemmological Laboratory) within the gem and jewellery trade since 1929
- Highly qualified educational team, including internationally renowned gemmologists
- Up-to-date teaching, addressing the challenges of the profession
- Learning in small groups (12 people maximum per group)
- Observation of numerous samples from the LFG collection
TEACHING METHOD AND RESOURCES
- Unit 2 is taught by an expert gemmologist.
- Practical courses are given in a fully equipped lab class.
- Units 1, 3 and 4 are taught by a professional working in the gem industry.
LEARNING ASSESSMENT METHOD
- Continuous skills assessment is carried out in Unit 2 as well as MCQs.
- Skills acquired in Units 1, 3 and 4 are evaluated via MCQs.
- Final skills assessments are carried out at the end of each Unit.
- The student will receive a certification of professional skills
- The Professional Qualification (CQP) will be validated after a final oral examination in front of a panel of professionals.
The candidate will have to submit an application file and will be interviewed by the Teaching Manager. Admission is subject to validation by a committee.
- 6-month Intensive training: every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday
- Evening classes : two days a week for 2 years
Unit n°1 – MATERIALS, EQUIPMENTS, TOOLS AND INSTRUMENTS
Be able to identify common gem materials and to use gemmological instruments
- Learn the fundamentals of gemmology and study common gems
- Chemistry and crystallography applied to gemmology
Unit n° 2 – ORGANISATION AND TECHNICAL COMMUNICATION
Understand the professional environment, technical documentation, learn to communicate efficiently with customers
- The gemmologist : profession and working environment
- Written communication and technical documentation
Unit n°3 – TASKS AND PROCESSES
Understand the criteria for valuing gems and implement monitoring and control actions
- The gem trade and what gemstones are worth
- Gems buying process
Unit n°4 – OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY
Understand the occupational Health and Safety regulations: in general and at workstations
- General safety rules in the workplace
Theoretical and practical tests followed by an oral examination in front of a professional panel.
Information and application
Sophie Pereira De Sousa: firstname.lastname@example.org – (+33) (0)1 40 26 98 00